15.How to Make Rouge (紅粉<口紅>の精製法)
- Give a slice cut to a cake of benibana. And soak them into
water overnight. Put them in a cotton bag and crumple well, then
take off the yellow colored water.
- Put them in a bamboo basket and put lye over them and make
beni-color liquid. And add plum (梅) vinegar to make the red color
- Soak aoso cloth (青荢布) into the liquid and repeat soaking
and wringing again and again to settle the beni-color on the
- Rinse the colored cloth with water and put a hot lye over
it and take the red pigment out of it.
- Add the plum vinegar again to this beni-pigment and pour
into the silk clothed wood-made pail.
- After repeating this process, scoop up the beni settled on the silk cloth and gather them in the porcelain.