The Benibana Museum (The Safflower Museum)
9. How to Grow Benibana (紅花のそだて方)
- 4 kilograms of matured moan per a meter square, 100 grams
of chemical fertilizer, 700 grams of garden lime. From the rear
of March to at the head of April, 3～4 seeds are sown in a graining
fields and thinly covered by the soil.
- Culling out
- Twice or three times' culling out is done when benibana grows
about 20 centimeters high at the middle of April and adjust about
25 benibanas per a meter square. (The leaves after culling out
are eatable for boiled greens)
- Additional fertilizer
- The mature must be given as a chemical fertilizer from the
end of April to the rear of May and cover the roof with soil.
- Prevention of the breeding and extermination
- Benibana is weak against anthracnose. Give proper hydrating
agent diluted 600 times and spray it each 7 or 10 days.
- Flowers come at the beginning of July. When the petal is
opened enough, a flower can be cut. The petal turns red after
opening, pick the petal and make a dried flower.
- Dried flower
- Hang the cut flowers in the shade not be rained for a month,
then beautiful dried flowers can be made.
- To gather the seeds, keep blooming to the dried flower and
<Back to top>